Tomato Ginger Sauce Over Rice: An easy, no-fuss recipe for two hungry vegan tummies on a budget.
Serving for two
This recipe is extremely easy and fast. You could even put all the ingredients into a food processor and throw it into a pot of boiling water (half cup). You can easily customize it to your taste or make it work with what you have lying around in your fridge–it is also extremely flexible and tasty! I came up with this recipe in college. I think of this recipe as a really healthy and affordable comfort food dish–much better than ramen noodles!
- 2 – 3 cups of rice
- 2 – 3 tomatoes
- 2 – 3 cauliflower crowns
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A chunk of ginger
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons of sugar (I like to use brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- A dash of vinegar (I like red vinegar)
- Get started by cleaning and cooking your rice.
- Wash the tomatoes, cauliflower crowns, and ginger.
- Chop your cauliflower crowns into small pieces. You can substitute this ingredient with potato or something starchy.
- Thinly slice your ginger. I used to peel my ginger, but have since stopped after realizing it only serves for an aesthetic function. Should you want to peel your ginger, scraping with a spoon does a good job.
- Put half a cup of water in the pot along with the chopped
cauliflower crowns and sliced ginger and bring them to boil with a lid on top. Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Dice your tomatoes and crush or mince your garlic and then putthem into the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients (sugar, salt, and vinegar) and lower the heat to medium if you haven’t already. Stir occasionally.
- Simmer until the ingredients form a sauce like consistency.
- As an option you can add any kind of mushroom you fancy, tofu, or any protein.